Friday, February 29, 2008

Mido has sights on Wembley


EGYPTIAN striker Mido wants to prove he has won his battle with the bulge by firing Middlesbrough to a Wembley date in his first season on Teesside.
The 25-year-old's injury-time shot, thanks to some misfortune from Sheffield United goalkeeper Paddy Kenny, was responsible for securing Boro's place in the FA Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday night.
Mido feels his performance showed he is over the worst of the concerns which have weighed him down in recent weeks.
alarmed the club's coaching staff when he piled on the pounds during a four-month injury lay-off due to a pubic bone injury.
But, after working away on the training ground, Mido is confident he has shed the fat, which will help him to find his feet in the Premier League again.
"I have lost a lot of weight,"
said Mido, likely to start on the bench against Reading tomorrow.
"I don't want to say how much weight I have lost but I have been doing a lot of work on the training ground and I've been on a very hard diet.
"For sportsmen and athletes it is very different to anyone else when you want to lose weight.
You cannot diet like normal people.
"You have got to train, you have got to play games and that means you need a lot of energy.


"A normal person can cut out the carbo-hydrates. As a footballer, you can't do that so it has been very tough for me to lose weight.
"Now I am trying to lose another two or three kilos but I don't have to lose them quickly. I can lose that weight quite slowly.
"I don't want to push it. Having said that, Wednesday's game will certainly help. I think I've lost a lot more than that in just two hours. But my weight is not a problem."
With Jeremie Aliadiere sidelined through suspension, Dong- Gook Lee injured and Afonso Alves withdrawn after 73 minutes, Mido had to play 90 minutes and then 30 minutes of extra-time against the Blades.
And, in the 113th minute, he still had the energy to deliver the shot which led to United keeper Kenny palming the match-winner into his own net.
"I'm just happy we are through and so happy I could play 120 minutes.
It is always very difficult when you have not played for so long but I p r o v e d something out there,"
said Mido, who had not started and finished a game since October 20.
"I was ready to play the whole game. It is not like a few weeks ago, when I probably needed to come off before the end.
"At no stage did I think I was going to be taken off. In fact the longer the game went on, the better I felt."
The marginal victory means that Middlesbrough have sealed a quarter-final tie with another Championship outfit, Cardiff City, a week on Sunday.
Victory at the Riverside Stadium will send Middlesbrough to Wembley for the semi-finals and within reach of a UEFA Cup place.
"It would be special to reach Wembley," he said. "It would be a great experience for everyone. It is a stadium you dream to play in.
"We said before the repaly it might be a tough game but we had to battle because we are all dreaming about winning this Cup.
"Anything can happen in this competition and I really believe that we have a very good chance.
"It could turn into an incredible season for us after a very tough start. I think the gaffer has done really well in the way he has managed everything in the club.
"He is a young manager but has done everything you would expect an experienced manager to do and I am very happy for him. He will just get better and better."
Middlesbrough's progress in the FA Cup means that next weekend's trip to Aston Villa has been rescheduled for March 12, kick-off 7.45pm.
Luke Young will miss the last eight tie with Cardiff after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season on Wednesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very soon this website will be famous amid all blog
users, due to it's pleasant articles

Feel free to visit my homepage ... Leif Riccardo