Saturday, February 2, 2008

Mido: It's time to halt the sick jibes


Boro striker Mido has asked Newcastle fans not to taunt him with sick chants during the Tyne-Tees derby.
The Egyptian striker was abused with vile taunts from the 3,000 Geordie supporters at the Riverside.
It provoked the fury of Boro boss Gareth Southgate, especially when Mido was booked for holding his finger to his mouth to tell the away fans to shut it after he scored. Mido also produced a two-finger salute in the game.
Newcastle fans angrily disputed accusations of racism after the incident.

Mido said: "Hopefully we won't hear the same chants again because it's silly and should absolutely be kept out of everyday life and that includes football. I hope we don't hear it again. It's not only about me, it's about everyone.
"If they do start chanting again I'll make sure I keep my head calm and aim to do well for the team.

"It's terrible when you hear people making chants about race, colour, religion or whatever. If you see what is happening now in England you do not normally hear that sort of stuff in everyday life.
"Now people are starting to understand that there is no difference between people and that everyone is doing their best in their own walks of life. There is no difference between the religions and colours and everyone should understand that.
"I wouldn't say that if I do hear it that it would increase my determination or my efforts. I just hope if we do hear it again the Football Association takes the right decisions.
"I will go to Newcastle and I just plan to play my football and I hope to do well and score goals."

No comments: